Friday, August 04, 2006

In Memory of Spyder




March 6, 1965 - July 31 2006

Cellar Dwellers, and Cellar Blog readers, you need to know that Spyder (JED's brother) died this past Monday from a heart aneurysm. (Or, more correctly, from complications following the emergency surgery to REPAIR a thoracic aortic aneurysm).

Spyder was a sensitive, caring man, with a couple "kids" of his own, who agreed with the focus of The Cellar Blog in recording the TRUE details concerning his older brother, Joseph Edward Duncan, III.

He and I shared many, many e-mails and phone conversations since he first contacted me last July when I took over this blog, and I consider him my friend. Spyder was a great conversationalist, once you managed to break past the one- or two-word replies. Yeah, he had a LOT to be wary and protective about. Namely, "his daughter," a young teen- who was the first person that alerted him to his estranged brother's crimes when the local news broke in Washington, with an innocent, "Hey, isn't that your brother Jet?" comment while the television news was blaring in the living room.

Off went the TV! (The "daughter" was likely sent on a household errand or out to play with the dog while Spyder made some phone calls- knowing him) . Yet ON went the troubles at work (your brother's a baby fucker!), at home (my mom said I can't be friends with [your daughter] anymore...) , with his physical and mental health (I won't go into this out of privacy and respect for this man, but some of the crap he read about himself and his siblings on the internet ate away at him!)...

And especially, I believe, in his heart.

On and ON went the persecution of this genuine, intelligent, caring man, who just happened to share the same DNA as Joseph Edward Duncan, III.

I called Spyder several days back, and thought it strange that his number was no longer in service. He hadn't replied to the last e-mail I sent him, either. This wasn't normal for Spyder, he was consistently responsible in replying to phone calls, messages, e-mails... I told a fellow Cellar Dweller about my concerns, as well...

Then I received a phone call from one of his siblings:
Spyder
had passed away, and they were letting his friends know about it...

Spyder, my friend, I will miss you. I ALREADY miss you. I am proud to have been your friend, and I am sorry for the bullshit you had to deal with the last year of your life. You know now that it was pure anger on their parts, right? As you always said, "Kiss My Ass!" :)

--------

I don't know how I could possibly express my feelings in this public "blog," though I feel I did, in private, to his siblings over the telephone... and while I've tried to write a blog entry- this blog entry- a few times already... I'm just going to hit the "publish" button this time.

There's the moon asking to stay
Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
Well it's my time coming, i'm not afraid to die
My fading voice sings of love,
But she cries to the clicking of time
Of time

Wait in the fire...

And she weeps on my arm
Walking to the bright lights in sorrow
Oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow
Oh my love
And the rain is falling and i believe
My time has come
It reminds me of the pain
I might leave
Leave behind

Wait in the fire...

And I feel them drown my name
So easy to know and forget with this kiss
I'm not afraid to go but it goes so slow

-Grace, Jeff Buckley


Bye, Guy. Thanks for letting me be your friend.

-----

Update: For those who want to know, Spyder's (Bruce's) family is requesting that any donations be made to the American Heart Association in Bruce Duncan's name.


15 comments:

Alex said...

Spyder was pretty cool in my book I am sorry he is gone. Thanks for the pictures of him. I guess I thought he looked like Duncan. I feel bad now for the ASSumption..........

Mr. Fantastic, can you help me log in to the forum? I was a member back in september I think. I just tried to go there but it says I have an invalid ID.

Anonymous said...

that's really sad. Was he sick for a wile? RIP Spider.

He did help with lots of facts about Duncan.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! I am sorry, Spyder family.

Compassrose said...

Rest in peace, Bruce. It is tragic and, as childish as this word my seem, unfair that the turmoil created by another should affect the lives of people far removed from those actions. I will pray his family and am so sorry Spyder had to suffer so much abuse for behavior of his brother.

Melissa said...

Damn, that really is sad. Bye Spyder. You and your's are in my prayers.

Home Sweet Home said...

Please express my sympathy to Bruce's family. I understood Bruce when he said that whatever Joe had done, he was still his brother. Bruce had memories of Joe that no one else did, and likely some of those memories were good ones. From what little I had read about Bruce, I accepted that he loved his brother Joe, but that he thought that JED deserved full punishment for what he has been alleged to have done. And I respected him for speaking out. I am sorry he is gone.

Soobs said...

Jules, thank you for letting us peer a little, into your friendship with Bruce. He must have been a hell of a person, for you to call him friend. Bless his family.

Neantaeus said...

Wow, is that ever sad. Poor guy had to live the last years of his short life with the knowledge that his brother was a fiend. And then on top of it to have to be hassled by others who somehow thought he was responsible for his brother's crimes?
Man, Spyder had some rotten luck. I hope his family gets past this and that people leave them the hell alone.
I've always thought that saying about "sins of the father will be visited upon the son" (sic) was an unfortunate but often too true aphorism. But where is it written that "the sins of the brother" will cause his siblings to suffer?

JoJoFox said...

I am shocked !
Oh how I liked him....what a genuine guy !

Rest in peace Bruce. You will be very much missed. You were a good and trusted friend.
JoJo

Anonymous said...

thanks for the beautiful tribute, Capt.

jill

joey said...

Wow, I didn't even "know" him and I feel sad/bad. I did read his posts. It is terrible he had to go through the last year of his life with his brother's evil hanging over his head.

Rest in Peace, man.

K said...

<3
thank you jules.

xoxo
K

Anonymous said...

Bruce was my friend too. And my wife's friend. He had the biggest heart. Greatest guy you would want to meet.

Thanks, Joe

Anonymous said...

Bruce Duncan is not dead. Private Investigation confirms this fact. Any of your readers may check for themselves by using the free online Social Security Death Index. His birthdate is /3/6/61 and alleged death was 7/31/06. (How convenient!) There are only 40 deaths of Bruce Duncan's total in the registry. Not one matches the criteria.

For this blog to publish false information to fake Bruce Duncan's death is both irresponsible and makes one question exactly how much more sympathy you have for Duncan and his family of deviants, than for beautiful 9 year old Dylan and his family of angels.

Jules Hammer said...

Anonymous Coward wrote:
"Bruce Duncan is not dead. Private Investigation confirms this fact. Any of your readers may check for themselves by using the free online Social Security Death Index. His birthdate is /3/6/61 and alleged death was 7/31/06. (How convenient!) There are only 40 deaths of Bruce Duncan's total in the registry. Not one matches the criteria.
For this blog to publish false information to fake Bruce Duncan's death is both irresponsible and makes one question exactly how much more sympathy you have for Duncan and his family of deviants, than for beautiful 9 year old Dylan and his family of angels.
Fri Sep 12, 10:58:00 AM EDT"

Dear Anonymous,

I hadn't published your comment until now because I did not want to upset Bruce's family. However, after speaking with one of Bruce's immediate family members recently, I have the go-ahead to slap you upside the head.

Oy gevalt! Can you not get a simple date right?! I hope you didn't pay top dollar for your "private investigation," as it was an epic FAIL (I assume you did it yourself, online- for FREE- and considered yourself an expert! Ha haaa!). Fact is, Bruce Duncan DID pass away when and how I wrote about in this blog entry back in July, 2006. This blog- meaning, me, Jules- never publishes false information as fact. And if this attempt of yours of providing "proof" that I'm lying is the best there is? ::Yawn::

I think we all get it. You want to punish bloggers who *celebrate* and *publicize* child molesters and child killers. Fine. Great! I am not a sympathizer. And if you knew anything about my blog, you would know this. Instead, you have set your agenda back a few steps by biting this blogger's hand. Get a real life, because your atrophied "internet muscles" are hurting your cause more than helping it.

In a nutshell: I know you! Your lonesome Spokane, WA existence is probably more desperate now, given the abysmal state of your credit and bankruptcy situation as of 9/15/2008. Hey. for all I know, you're now living in a van down by the river... with your own family of deviants.

Keep in touch about those "facts" of yours, okay? :)